Actually, I know what came over me. Peach season happened. Or rather, is happening. I have an abundance of peaches between the CSA and my fruit share from the co-op. My kids are getting sick of the peaches in their bag lunches. I have a hunch that some of the peaches get traded off to some hungry friends. Other peaches manages to be found mushy in the corners of backpacks about a week or two later. I obviously needed a better plan.
I committed to using up my peaches over the weekend. I had to do something before the next batch comes in. I set aside a bunch of peaches for cobblers, but I still had a few left over. I decided to try my hand at some peach danish. I figured the family would appreciate a special breakfast treat, and the peaches would be a welcome addition.
I had some puff pastry in the freezer – so this came together quickly. I defrosted the puff pastry dough.
While the dough softened, I peeled and cubed the peaches and set them aside.
I then whipped up some cream cheese along with some sugar and egg to make the cheesy filling.
Once the dough was ready, I spread out the dough and spread some cheese filling along the center. I sprinkled some cubed peaches on top. I then cut slits in the dough like in the photo below.
I criss-crossed the dough pieces over each other.
I then brushed an egg wash over the dough and placed in the oven for about 25 minutes.
This recipe makes two long danish pastries.
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 10 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 6 very ripe peaches, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg white for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 350
- Defrost the puff pastry sheets.
- In a mixing bowl, whip up the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Make slits in the puff pastry as in the photo.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture down the center of the dough sheet.
- Arrange cubed peaches on top.
- Sprinkle some sugar on top of the peaches.
- Seal up the dough as in the photo.
- Bake in oven for around 25 minutes. Dough will be light brown.