Happy National Grilled Cheese Day! Now this is a holiday I can get behind every year. Grilled cheese is definitely one of my all-time favorite comfort foods out there. From my loaded grilled cheese to my grilled cheese with pears and caramelized onions, this is one sandwich that truly has a place in my heart. So when the folks over at Rumiano Cheese sent me some coupons for this momentous foodie holiday, I had to oblige.
When I was out picking up the cheese at Whole Foods, I picked up some Upton’s Italian Sausage seitan. I had a hunch that the cheese would pair well with the seitan and I was right.
I set out to make this amazing sandwich. It’s a special occasion, so I had to go full steam ahead, right?
I sautéed up some onions and cremini mushrooms along with the seitan.
I then buttered up a skillet and also buttered two slices of bread. I piled the bread with cheese and then the onion/seitan mixture and then more cheese. Topped with a piece of bread, and then in to the pan it went.
Whoa Nelly. I birthed a grilled cheese baby. And it was good.
The Monterey Jack from Rumiano was the perfect match for the onions, mushrooms and seitan. I love how all the flavors stand out in the sandwich.
Hope you enjoy it too!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 package of Italian Sausage flavored seitan
- Bread (2 slices per sandwich)
- 1 brick of Monterey Jack Cheese, sliced up
- Heat up some olive oil in a pan.
- Add in the onions and cook a few minutes. Add in the mushrooms and seitan and cook until cooked through and liquid has evaporated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat up some butter.
- Butter Slices of bread and make sandwiches, piling cheese then filling then more cheese.
- Grill in pan until brown on each side and cheese has melted.